Loading...

The Westchester Bible Church had its beginnings on the southwest side of Chicago at the Lawndale Bible Church. When Lawndale was in need of a pastor, they turned for help to the church that helped get them started–Cicero Bible Church. It was through this contact that Robert Gray and his new wife, Ruth, were called to pastor the Lawndale Bible Church. Pastor Gray enthusiastically accepted the call to this new opportunity. He preached not only on Sundays and Wednesdays, but he and Ruth started a calling ministry and had a two-week Vacation Bible School the first year. During the mid-1950s, the Lawndale neighborhood was changing and the congregation dwindling. The decision was made to sell the church in that area and purchase new property in the western suburbs for the construction of a new facility. Pastor Gray, his wife Ruth, and their young daughter Peggy came to Westchester in the spring of 1956. A parsonage was purchased, and on April 15, 1956, thirteen people gathered for the first service in the parsonage basement on Canterbury Street.  For the next two years, the church held Sunday morning services at High Ridge School in Westchester. From the beginning, Westchester Bible Church was a busy church with many ministries. The BAR-W children’s ministry was begun right in the parsonage. Pastor and Mrs. Gray developed the program for BAR-W themselves, wanting to provide a time of fun, fellowship, and the Word of God for the young people of the community. On August 3, 1958, the original church building on the corner of Cermak and Sunnyside was dedicated. The growth of the church during the 1960’s created a need for more building space. By June of 1969, an educational wing including offices and infant and toddler rooms was added. In January of 1972, the West Suburban Bible Church joined the Westchester congregation, considerably increasing its size. As a result, it became necessary to hold two morning services. After much prayer, planning, and giving, the parsonage was physically moved from its location on Cermak Road to the corner of Sunnyside and Dorchester, and a new auditorium was constructed. For a year, services were held in the Fellowship Hall beneath the auditorium while the new auditorium above was being completed. On February 1, 1976, the first service was held in the new auditorium. The Westchester Bible Church, from its founder, Pastor Bob Gray, to its current leadership, has faithfully preached and taught the Word of God for over 50 years, and will continue to do so. We invite you and your family to come and enjoy the wonderful atmosphere here at WBC.

Plan A Visit